We flew into Rapid City Regional – it’s about six gates and an on-site car lot fifteen minutes from downtown.
Rapid City isn’t big but it has a couple of very good restaurants. There are life-sized statues of US presidents all over the place. That’s their thing.
Things we liked in Rapid City:
- Tally’s Silver Spoon, great for breakfast and dinner. Probably lunch too.
- Prairie Edge Gallery – we picked up some nice artwork here.
- The Central States Fair for the Saturday night demolition derby.
- The art alley behind the fancy hotel.
- Independent Ale House with its 40 taps and the guy who updates the chalkboard tap list.
We stayed one last night just outside of town before flying back out of Rapid City Regional. The once-clear sky had turned chalky, the wind was gusty and we could smell the smoke from fires far away in Idaho and Washington state. A good time to be going.