I’ve built a script to convert the old text-and-picture pages into WordPress-friendly markup and CSS. It takes about 5-10 minutes to rework each page but soon I’ll have gallery entries going back to year 2000 – the entries that have aged well, anyway.
It looks like Galleria is behaving well enough with Internet Explorer these days so I’m sticking with that as my photo gallery software. I’ve written a script to convert the older galleries I developed for Bananalbum (a slick product but Flash-based) into Galleria bundles. I’ll be filling out the folders for 2008 and 2009 over the next couple of days.
The WordPress conversion looks good enough to go live. I wrote the last iteration of the site layout in 2003 – it was a clean presentation but website technology has rocketed far ahead since then. After ten years I’m willing to put the old framework to bed and work with a third-party content management system.
The navigation automation alone is worth the price of admission. I’ve done a fair bit of PHP tinkering behind the scenes in the templates to get custom functionality that doesn’t come with the stock distribution.